Uber Driver & Vehicle Requirements
Module 1: The Uber Application Process
This training module will begin with the very basics of driving for Uber; learning about the service, and then applying to drive. If you haven’t applied to drive already, make sure to go through each part of this module so you don’t miss a thing when applying.
Your first step to becoming an Uber driver is ensuring that you and your vehicle meet Uber car requirements. The company has standards of quality and safety that all drivers must comply with, but don’t worry, it’s nothing too daunting!
Remember that each Uber market has slightly different requirements, but they will be listed during your application.
Here’s an overview of standard Uber driver and vehicle requirements:
- You will have to pass a background check. This is to ensure the safety of Uber passengers and applies to all drivers. Driving and DUI violations may void your application.
- Your car must have valid plates and be insured in your name, as well as meeting certain standards for vehicle age and safety.
- Your car must be from 2005 or newer (may vary; Uber Plus requires 2007), with 4 or more doors and must not be a salvaged vehicle.
- You need a smart phone! The Uber service hinges on a current smart phone that can run the famous app and has GPS capability. Uber does not accept users with non-cellular tablets at this time. Many drivers recommend using a separate phone for business use.
- You will need to be at least 21 years old, with a clean U.S. driver’s license which has been active for at least 3 years.
- You must adhere to the regulations of your local area or state. Some regions have special requirements for self-employed drivers, but these will be made clear during your application.
Uber Vehicle Types
Certain services require you to have a specific car from a select list. Here’s a quick overview of some specialist Uber markets. The application process will give you up-to-date requirements.
- Uber XL requires a car which can seat 6 or more passengers, excluding the driver.
- Uber PLUS is also known as Uber SELECT. This requires a car which can seat 5 or more passengers and has a leather interior. Uber Plus cars must be from these ranges:
Acura: RDX, RLX, TL, TLX, ILX.
Audi: A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, S3, S4, S6, Q3, Q5, Q7.
BMW: 3-series, 5-series, 7-series, X1, X3, X4, X5, X6.
Cadillac: ATS, CTS, DTS, SRX, XTS.
Hyundai: Genesis, Equus.
Infiniti: EX, FX, G, JX, M, Q, QX50, QX70.
Jaguar: XF, XJ.
Land Rover: Range Rover.
Lexus: ES, IS, NX, RX, GS, GX, LS.
Lincoln: MKT, MKS, MKX, MKZ, MKC, Town Car.
Mercedes-Benz:C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, G-Class, GLK-Class, M-Class, R-Class.
Porsche: Macan, Cayenne, Panamera.
Tesla: Model S.
Volvo: S60, S80, XC90.
- Uber BLACK is more strict and works like a professional chauffeur service. Cars must be in excellent condition, with a black exterior and interior. You may also need commercial car insurance, airport license and TCP. Fares will, of course, be higher to reflect these standards. The car must be a sedan, SUV or crossover. Cars must be from these ranges:
Audi: A6, A7
BMW: 5 Series
- Uber SUV is much the same as BLACK, but requires a full-size SUV from 2012 or newer. This must seat at least 6 people. Example cars include:
Cadillac: Escalade ESV
GMC: Yukon XL
Infiniti: QX56, QX80
Lincoln: Navigator L
- Uber LUX is again much the same, but needs a car from 2010 or newer and can be sedan, SUV or crossover sizes. Accepted cars include:
BMW: 7 Series
Land Rover: Range Rover
Mercedes-Benz: S-Class, G-Class
Tesla: Model S
Bentley: All 4-door
Maybach: All 4-door
Rolls Royce: All 4-door
Uber can help you lease a car if necessary. You’ll find information about that on their application pages. This requires a $250 deposit but has 30 days flexibility to return the car. Uber can even rent a smartphone to you for using the app, but most users make do with their own phone.
Your vehicle will be inspected by Uber, so make sure to comply with their standards to make your application go smoothly.