Postmates Referral Code: A Beginner’s Guide
What is Postmates?
Postmates is the latest in the line of turbo-charged delivery service which connects local businesses to consumers. Navigating an intricate network of suppliers, local merchants, and local delivery/ courier services, Postmates delivers your merchandise within an hour.
Postmates was a passion project for San Franscisco engineers and co-founders Sean Plaice, Bastian Lehmann and Sam Street. Roping in local restaurants, stores and outlets, Postmates has transformed the way local inventory moves around since 2011.
How does it work?
Postmates leverages the idea that all local deliverables can be accessed within a single app.
To order online, you need to either download the smartphone app (available on both iOS and Android) or sign up on the website Postmates.com. Once you enter the delivery address zip-code on the first screen, the app vends a list of featured merchants for you to choose from.
Once you’ve picked your store, select the item(s) for delivery, check their prices, populate your shopping cart and check out. Simple!
Postmates app and features
The Postmates app is actually a bit more versatile than the web version. You can enhance your shopping experience in one of the two ways:
- Once you enter the zip code – you can tap and select one of the ‘featured’ merchants
- You may search by name/ item type/ cuisine/ store category by tapping the search icon on top left hand corner of the screen.
But wait! There is more…
- Postmates apps allow you to change your order delivery or pick-up address by simply calling your Postmates delivery person directly from the app. The delivery price is reassessed and you’re notified of the changes (if any).
- Change of order can be done the same way, although the delivery might take a bit more than the allotted 1 hour. The ‘smart tracking’ feature allows you to keep tabs on your order.
- Postmates apps accepts all major credit cards, and third-party payment processers like PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Wallet and Amazon Payment. No cash is accepted, and no tips are required as per official policy, however you do have an option to add tips online once the order is complete.
- Craigslist integration – yes! Postmates does that too, although only for sellers who have credit card acceptance policy at this point.
- Blitz pricing indication – for items in high demand (like emergency lights during hurricane season, or iPhone chargers prior to release of a new iPhone), Postmates employs a higher delivery fee to support incentives for couriers to work beyond their expected workload. Orders at these times would need to accept the higher delivery fee and it’s clearly indicated in the app.
- Ordering for a different city is possible through Postmates. All you need is to enter the destination zip-code and Postmates would load the featured merchants in that location.
- The app is smart enough to prevent merchandise of contraband items, animal and human parts, child pornography, gambling items, hazardous materials, weapons, copyright media, counterfeit goods, loose currency, pre-paid cards, and devices for circumventing encryption of data.
The delivery fee may range between $5 – $20 depending on the delivery distance, however the app is programmed to take the best route or closest chain location to optimize the experience.
How to get the app?
Simply go to AppStore or PlayStore and search for Postmates. You may also look under the ‘food and drinks’ category for smartphone apps. The distinctive logo of a man on a bike with a three-star trail can’t be missed. Keep an eye out for $10 delivery credit for first time users.
Where is Postmates available?
Starting from its home-town of San Francisco and the Bay Area, Postmates is has currently expanded its service scope to major U.S. cities like: Atlanta, Austin , Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Miami, , Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, Orange County, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, Virginia Beach and Washington DC.
Postmates services can be availed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round. The full list of available markets is regularly updated on the homepage.
Overview of the restaurants you will find on Postmates
Postmates app based delivery system covers a wide spectrum of restaurants. The food delivery model isn’t dissimilar to other similar concepts like Eat24, GrubHub, DoorDash or Groupon. But it steals a march over competing services by virtue of tie-ups with popular chains like Starbucks, In n Out, and Chipotle, to go with exclusive local favorite restaurants.
Most of the restaurants for delivery are fast casual, or diners, which is just as well, given their abundant retail locations. Since the delivery charges are based off distance from the location, it keeps the order prices reasonable. For fast-food chains like McDonald’s Postmates places the order, and delivers for you.
Postmates also deliver from hot bars, salad bars and health-food locations in grocery stores like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.
For specialty restaurants, dine-in locations (like Olive Garden or Yard House) or exclusive locations (think Seafood place in Miami, deep dish Pizza place in Chicago) – they have a details section in the app for special instructions and Postmates can place the order while you may conveniently walk in to dine/ pick it up and pay.
There is a little caveat though: Postmates don’t ask for permission for delivering food from these locations. So while it is awesome to have Starbucks or Chipotle officially tie-up with them, restaurants like Julian Serrano (Las Vegas) or Big Mario’s (Seattle) insist that a part of their USP is their dining experience. However, by facilitating take-away from those locations, Postmates is robbing them of a vital clientele, repeat-value/ word-of-mouth and potentially misrepresenting their brand.
Postmates API for developers
The developer API released by Postmates is truly open-source, fully functional application platform which helps itemize inventory selection, network with merchants, accepts payment information and orders, and assign customer identification with simple http/https calls. It brings a top-shelf local delivery platform to your custom retail application.
The JSON reply formats all the information, including the delivery/ pick-up zip code, unique API token for the customer, currency, fee, estimated duration of order delivery and all other relevant details.
For real-time delivery information, the delivery Object even has variable for status, order completion, and information regarding the Postmates courier person, to enable calling or connecting with them directly in case of change, update or special instructions added after the initial one was placed.
How to become a Postmates customer?
To become a Postmates customer simply install the app and register with your email or Facebook account. You will need to register your credit card for payment once you are ready to check-out.
A small authorization charge is placed to verify your card, and is refunded within 1-5 business days. Postmates customers can be receive their merchandise practically anywhere (yes, office addresses and even public places too, as long as you’ve described the location properly.)
Becoming a Postmates driver or a Courier
Postmates screen its employees thoroughly. After you submit your application at postmates.com/apply, you’ll be expected to clear background checks (including driving tests in some states), in-person interviews, test delivery runs and an onboarding session to complete the selection process.
Every order is reviewed on distance, zip code and delivery address to dispatch the courier best suited to deliver it. Tips are through the app only, with no provision for cash. Postmates drivers may own a car, motorbike, truck, scooter or even a bike. As long as they’re over 18, with a valid license and a clean record – they can apply for the position. Pick any city/ market to work in, or even switch periodically.
There are also provisions for driver referral credits, on-demand rideshare credits for delivery with Lyft and generous equity options.
Drivers receive the lion’s share of the delivery fee in addition to the full tip amount on every order. Earnings are deposited every week.
In case of any questions, concerns, change of plans regarding your delivery or ordered item counts, change in pick-up/ delivery address, or technical difficulties with the app, feel free to reach out to email@example.com . For support regarding technical issues, API or app development feel free to peruse the http://blog.postmates.com/ sections or post comments, queries or dev tips.
You can also contact Postmates on the phone # 1 800 882 6106 or even mail them at: 475 Valencia St, 2nd Floor. San Francisco, CA 94103.
With ever-increasing roster of areas served, Postmates is ready to tackle the different questions involving all aspects of its delivery logistics and committed to presenting a seamless experience for its customers. Postmates takes its customers seriously, and a team of professionals would be ready to resolve any customer service disruption.
You Might Also Like
Table of Contents
- Postmates Referral Code: A Beginner’s Guide
- What is Postmates?
- How does it work?
- Postmates app and features
- How to get the app?
- Where is Postmates available?
- Overview of the restaurants you will find on Postmates
- Postmates API for developers
- How to become a Postmates customer?
- Becoming a Postmates driver or a Courier
- Contact Postmates