The perfect ride is a concept that Uber is trying to achieve which involves the driver and company making as much money as they possibly can, while the customer gets to pay the very least amount possible. The two fundamentals clash but the trick lies in the full maximization of efficiency on each of the parts to have an end result of a winning situation for all parties.
Uber has launched many updates in the recent past which are designed to come closer to the perfect ride notion. The recent feature ensures that drivers receive and get to accept the nearest ride request while nearing the end of the current ride. What this means is that if a driver is on a delivery but would get to riders faster than another which may be empty but further away, then the driver nearing his destination will be slated in for the pickup. This will mean that a customer is able to get a car that is a min away other than wait for one that is five minutes away.
This feature is currently being rolled out gradually globally since the same was evident in San Francisco where passengers were alighting and others being picked up from the same destination. This means that a request for the cab was received while the driver was on transit.
A step-by-step Uber back-to-back ride which maximizes efficiency
- A passenger enters a location by selecting previous destinations and pick up point
- The passenger is assisted in location of a suggested pickup point
- A driver is slated in while delivering another customer their destination if he happens to be nearby
- The routes will also operate on a drivers route not far from his home with the help of drivers destination
- Uber has developed a mapping software that ensures the shortest route is taken by the cabs
- A notification is sent out to the passenger just before the driver arrives at the pickup point which allows him/her the time to come out.
- Finding the Uber car is easier and doesn’t need pacing around the streets with a feature called spot which allows the passenger to choose a color that will collaborate with their drivers to avoid getting into the wrong car.
- Trip time is minimized with the adoption of the optimal route which will result in saving o gas.
- Uber/Spotify integration allows a passenger to choose his/her music which heightens the experience
- The cycle begins again; while the driver is enrooted to drop the current passenger another picj request is slated which happens to be along his current route.
Efficiency is a big consideration with Uber, which eventually pays off big, despite the complexities which might be experienced with UberPOOL carpools. The simplest and the most logical tenet used at Uber is the fact that the faster they are able to deliver a passenger to a desired destination, the faster the driver becomes available increasing supply.
Bonus: Watch Travis Kalanick talk about Uber driver supply and demand in his interview with Steven Colbert: